Monday, September 6

Ms. Understood


I used to be one of those people who wouldn't hesitate to get into a heated debate on hot topic issues such as politics and religion. Two words: Not wise.
The feelings associated with those particular subjects are incredibly personal and most often go much deeper than just the surface subject. Think about it -- how many times at the end of one of those heated debates, does the other person suddenly say, "Ah yes! I see the light and you're absolutely correct. I could not have been more wrong, and now I will forever more see things your way!"

Yeah...next to never.

The sad thing about NOT voicing ones thoughts but merely skimming over them with a generalized statement such as, "I'm conservative" makes it all too easy for folks to lump you into a category that you more than likely don't fit into. Rarely is anything so black or white regarding how one feels about political issues, or belief in a higher being, etc...

Am I treading delicately enough here? I sure hope so.

I've been called a "right winger" by some on the left, and "too liberal" by some on the right. I believe in fiscal conservatism and abhor big government, which is unique amongst the disabled due to how many of them cannot or choose not to work, thus relying heavily on government financial support. In my opinion, the government is balancing so precariously that I would not bet my security on them alone, but that's me. Alternately, I firmly believe that gay people should be allowed to marry.
When I was a little girl, we used to make a yearly trip from the Washington, DC area down to Morehead City, NC for a family reunion on my mom's side. The first person I could not wait to see was one of my mom's cousins because she would play better than all the other grown-ups. She'd run, play ball, spin you around until you came close to throwing up, then turn you upside down pretending she was going to drop you on the head! She taught me how to shoot spitballs, which was about the most awesome thing ever! To a passerby, she looked like a guy, but she's not. She's a lesbian who is manly in appearance and mannerisms. Based on my own experience with her, I could not think of many people who would have been a better parent, but considering she was at an age to start a family in the 70's and 80's (in the south, no less) she never really had much of a chance at that going over well.
My hubby and I recently got into a debate over this, and I ended up saying how I believe marriage is between the two people and God (my belief) so that would make it a "church" thing, and there's the separation of Church & State, so the government should have no say in gay people marrying. I was quickly shot down with a bunch of details, like legal issues, insurance, etc... totally overwhelming, and reminded me why I stopped having those discussions in the first place.

Anyway, I said all of that to say this: Don't lump people into categories without knowing where they stand on issues.
All conservatives are not capitalist pigs, bigots and/or racists.
All liberals are not communist, immoral, or America-haters.

We're all so multi-faceted, and that's what makes this a beautiful country!
Have you ever seen this little picture? I love it.

9 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

I love the "coexist" sign -- the basic tenets are all the same, it's just the details that differ. And I'm with you on gay marriage. To me, marriage is a civil institution; it doesn't have to be in a church -- you can get married in a shark tank or on a roller coaster or by a judge. You can CHOOSE to make it a religious ceremony, but it isn't inherently one. So, why shouldn't all people be entitled to the same rights under the law? Seems a simple thing to me ....

Team Chastain said...

I love this reply! Now I know where I want to have a ceremony if my hubby and I ever renew our vows... *cues music from Jaws*

Kat's Out o'the Bag said...

I normally steer free of these types of subjects myself but because I am extremely opinionated. (NO ONE knows that because I am SO SO good at hiding it LMAO)

Team Chastain said...

Kat...my love! YOU? Opinionated?! NEVAH!! LOLOL
I love that about you, though! I know you will always be honest and upfront, even if it's brutal. Makes me trust you unconditionally. ♥

jenny_o said...

Amen to avoiding political and religious conversations!

Love the coexist sign.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I really like that coexist sign.

It doesn't bother me what people believe.

Myrtle Beach said...

"Someone might be wrong - I'll fix 'em!"

Su-sieee! Mac said...

"Anyway, I said all of that to say this: Don't lump people into categories without knowing where they stand on issues.
All conservatives are not capitalist pigs, bigots and/or racists.
All liberals are not communist, immoral, or America-haters."

Amen, Sister!
Su-sieee! Mac
This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.

Karen Mortensen said...

I agree with the above. We can't stereotype people.