Thursday, June 24

My Personal Commandments


Along the same lines as my "Truths" blog from yesterday, I thought I'd share a wonderful idea I got from Gretchen Rubin and her book "The Happiness Project."

I highly recommend this book. What's funny is that I almost didn't read it because as I often do before I read something, I researched it a little on amazon and checked out her website, then wondered what in the world can I, with all my past baggage, trials and tribulations, learn from a woman who seems to have had it easy most of her life. Then I realized I was being ridiculous, since we can all learn something from one another, and I read the book.

Glad I did! I enjoyed it from beginning to end, so much so that it earned a spot on my "special bookshelf" where I place books I plan to keep in my personal collection, rather than passing on (which I must do with most so books don't take over my home!)

Anyway, back to what I want this blog to be about today. One of the things to do when you begin your own Happiness Project is to make a list of personal commandments. I loved doing this! Being a compulsive list-maker, this was right up my alley, but beyond the satisfaction of simply writing things down, I found myself turning inward and really contemplating what was important enough to me to become a "commandment."

Here's what I came up with:

1. Trust God.

2. Be me.

3. Accept compliments graciously.

4. Talk less & listen more.

5. Don't assume things.

6. Always be there when my son or husband need me.

7. Prune toxic relationships and nourish healthy ones.

8. Roll with the punches.

9. Give for the right reasons.

10. Practice kindness daily.

If you decide to do your own List of Personal Commandments, consider sharing them. I'd love to see what others come up with.

9 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

I love this list. I will have to work on mine and let you know but it might be similar to yours.

Team Chastain said...

That's ok if it's similar. Would just mean we have things in common. :)
You know what's weird/funny? The one I find most difficult is to accept compliments graciously. I automatically try to disagree when people compliment me -- as if I'm trying to talk them out of their nice feelings about me! Oy! *bangs my head*

Michelle Faith said...

Awesome list! New follower from FFF Love meeting new blogging friends.

www.blissfulbabble.com

Emily said...

Love it, what a great list!

I am stopping by to follow and say Hi!

Have a wonderful weekend!

G.~ said...

Great post and great idea.

I started a manifesto some time ago and I had forgotten about it until now. I'll have to dig that out again and add to the list.

Thanks for the reminder.

Psyche said...

Hello there!

I love your blog, i'm following you from now on :)

Following from the Fun Follow Friday.

xo,
~gwen
http://psycheslab.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'm your newest follower from Friday Follow. Love this list. I need to make one as well.

Lydia
www.ontheverge6.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

I love this! I need to make my list now.

Love your blog. I'm your newest follower! You had me at first post. :)

Anita C. McCants said...

Great idea!
Here is my List of Personal Commandments:

1. Trust God.
2. Pray Often.
3. Count my blessings.
4. Always be there for my family.
5. Be true to myself.
6. Make a positive difference in the lives
of others.
7. Practice kindness.
8. Talk less and listen more.
9. Keep striving to achieve my goals.
10.Don't wait for opportunities...
create opportunities.

Of course I adopted some from your list :^)