Friday, June 4

Change "survive" to "THRIVE"


I mentioned in yesterdays post that once we enter into the realm of thankfulness, we'll begin to see opportunities where we once saw only obstacles. Let's elaborate on that thought for today's post.

Take a look at the world outside, and sadly you'll begin to see that many people are walking around, day to day, in survival mode. They're basically going through the motions...just -existing. Considering the fleeting nature of life, it's a shame that we can so easily get trapped in such a wasteful loop.
Too often we get hung up over the things we perceive as obstacles, keeping us from doing what we really want to in life, so instead of trying, we settle in defeat. This is where we can slip from living to existing.

When I feel like I'm at a stumbling block in the road, I envision it instead as a vaulting board or a trampoline. Often in life we're confronted with several stumbling blocks at once. Why not look at them as stepping stones instead? Consider the obstacle and brainstorm over how you can use it as a jumping point. For example, I'd been wanting to start a non-profit organization to help people with disabilities pursue physically active lifestyles through adaptive sports and recreation, but the process overwhelmed me whenever I seriously considered it, so I did nothing. Then I had a bad car accident and figured that since I was stuck at home anyway, I might as well get busy on it, and the first steps (the most difficult) were taken, and we're now on our way to establishing what was once just a dream. I turned an obstacle into an opportunity, and the possible long-reaching effects have great potential.

Louis Pasteur said, "Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity." In other words, make a decision now to not be a quitter. Don't give up, don't give in. Persevere!

So much of what happens in our lives is a direct result of the decisions we make. If you're walking down a path and come to a huge boulder blocking the way, instead of turning back, be the one who learns to rock climb! It's taking that extra step when the road gets rough that can move you from surviving to THRIVING.

No comments: